Okay, we have a confession to make … we don’t like pumpkin spice. The flavor is okay but it’s so overplayed. Really, must pumpkin spice be in everything?! We’re looking at you Pringles! Sprouts also went crazy with pumpkin spice and put the flavoring in kale chips. Yuck. But we are craving fall flavors like cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. What better way to experience autumn than in a carrot cake smoothie? Try our recipe below and let us know if this substitutes your pumpkin spice craving.
Carrot Cake Smoothie with Coconut Whipped Cream
This healthy and delicious smoothie tastes more like a decadent dessert than a nutritious way to start the day. The natural sweetness of the orange and carrots are balanced by a trio of complementary spices, while a spoonful of homemade coconut whipped cream serves as the perfect finishing touch.
Tip: For best results, use coconut milk that does not contain guar gum to make the whipped cream.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
1 13.5-oz. can coconut milk, chilled
1-2 T. maple syrup (optional)
1 t. orange zest (optional)
1 c. coconut milk
1 large banana, cut into chunks and frozen
2 large stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 large orange, peeled
4 large carrots, roughly chopped
¾ t. cinnamon
¾ t. ground allspice
½ t. ground nutmeg
4-6 ice cubes
Finely chopped walnuts
- Chill coconut milk in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. To prepare, remove can from the refrigerator without shaking or turning and remove the lid. Scoop out the solidified “cream” from the top of the can and transfer to a mixing bowl. Reserve remaining liquid coconut milk to use in the smoothie.
- Add maple syrup and orange zest, if desired, to mixing bowl and blend until light and airy. Allow coconut cream to warm up slightly before blending if lumps persist. Cover and place bowl in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add the coconut milk and frozen banana to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, around 30 seconds.
- Add celery, orange, carrots, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ice cubes. Blend on high speed until completely combined and creamy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into glasses and top with a scoop of coconut whipped cream. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon or finely chopped walnuts, if desired, and serve immediately.